27 April 2012

Update!: Asia Missionaries

Howdy All!

I've been threatening to update this blog almost from the moment that I sent the very first note. I have no idea where to start. The last offering I made was more of a rant than anything else. I've got a chip on my shoulder the size of a good chunk of cord wood. I don't know why. The people that have come alongside of what we are doing have been amazing. From all around the world people are lifting what is happening in this place. It's just that it doesn't seem like we are making a large enough impact in a place that is in such dire need of impact. I worry about what may happen to the local groups if the destructive junk they are being bombarded with doesn't find as vigorous a counter point. The stuff that passes itself off as the gospel is a danger to the community and like first century Rome tossing the believers and the Jews out under one name, this country may simply decide to throw out the baby with the bathwater. When the authorities make a decision, it happens.

A few months back, we got on the radar of a group that reports back to the central committee in BZ. It was exciting, flattering and a bit scary. Imagine if the godfather, as opposed to Father God, showed up on your doorstep and said, "I've got a favor to ask you and you can't refuse." It's nice to have friends in high places. It's a bit unsettling to know that you've been investigated by folks in high places. It's flattering to be told, "Over the years, I've seen a lot of people that claimed to be what you claim to be. I've investigated you and talked to a lot of departments and they all say the same thing, you are the real deal." That's as close to verbatim as I can get. I've never had anyone say anything about my walk that brought me closer to tears. Finally, an answer to the old chestnut, "If you were accused of being one, would there be enough evidence to convict you?" Apparently the answer is yes. I'm sure that will be very comforting when I hit the bottom of the long drop.

What was it that we were asked to do? They wanted to know if I would be willing to lead an international fellowship. It was explained that I would have my pick of local partners to teach with me. Teach with me? Without saying it out loud, what was implied was that it would be a fellowship of foreign and local believers. It would be "something that had never been done before." Trudy and I just about fell out of our chairs.

What's the latest? Since before Spring Festival, now more than a month past, we haven't heard anything. There were meetings with the central committee that seemed to have gone well and then we stopped hearing anything. With things tightening for the run up to May Day we don't expect to hear anything this week. We'll give it a week past the holiday and then we'll call. In the mean time, please keep us lifted. This could be an amazing opportunity, one that can only be explained by grace. It's certainly not my scintillating personality and good looks. Please lift up continued favor with the authorities, wisdom and direction. It's almost impossible to imagine the impact an unfettered gospel might have in a field as white for the harvest as we have here. Thank you for joining us in this. In the vine, Tim

No comments: